Sunday, November 10, 2013

Writing Post Round Up – October



Since most of the posts I collected in October were for my NaNoWriMo edition, and I wasn’t very good about getting the round-up posted every week, I’m just going to do one post for the rest of the links I collected in October.  There’s not very many, but they’re all good.  I hope you enjoy them!
There is so much good advice out there for writers that it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer volume of it.  That’s why I like this post.  It’s nice and succinct, but it covers the bases pretty well.  If you want one list of writerly advice to post by your desk and refer back to, this is a good one.
Okay, one more NaNoWriMo post.  I must have collected this one after I posted the NaNoWriMo edition.  Anyway, this is a prep post, but even though NaNoWriMo has already launched this year, there’s still some good ideas in here – maybe you’ll find one that helps you push through if you’re running out of steam mid-month.  Or maybe you’re not even doing NaNoWriMo this year (or ever), but you’ll find a good tip or to for setting up your space, or embarking on some other kind of writing project.

This is another one of those not-really-a-writing post links, but it resonated with me so much that I just had to share it.  Sometimes (often) I get paralyzed by the fear that I’m not good enough, that I won’t be able to do this wonderful thing I want to do exactly right.  Posts like this help me feel like I’m not alone.  If you struggle with perfectionism, maybe it will help you, too.

This is one of the weekly inspirational / motivational posts from the ROW80 challenge – the writing challenge that knows you have a life.  A beautiful reminder that ALL the parts of our lives are important to our writing – not just the sitting down and putting words on the page part.
 
An interesting take on the “show, don’t tell” chestnut of writing advice.  I think she makes some good points, although I also think a lot of the bad writing she mentions comes more from a misunderstanding of what “show, don’t tell” means, rather than from following the advice too closely.

 
I am so Twitter illiterate.  I have an account (I actually used to have two – one from a work related “web 2.0” training, and a second I set up for my personal interests).  I occasionally log in and peruse my feed, and even less occasionally actually post a tweet, but I just haven’t really figured out how to use it to good advantage and what it’s all about.  One of the consistently confusing things for me is hashtags – I understand in general, that you can follow a trending topic, but figuring out how and when to apply one has been kind of a mystery.  If you also struggle with this aspect of Twitter, you may find this post helpful. 

We’re told over and over as writers that we need to have a platform, an online presence to connect with readers, publishers, agents and other writers.  A good website can be a huge component of that.  Here are some great tips for putting one together.
That’s all I’ve got for now!  Due to NaNoWriMo, and some other things going on in my life, I’ve not had time to read as many blogs, and I’ve been struggling with actually getting this post up on a weekly basis.  For that reason, I’m thinking of making this a monthly feature, rather than a weekly one, at least for a while.   That idea literally just occurred to me this morning though, so I’m still mulling it over.  Stay tuned!  And happy writing!
Note: this is a list of blog posts and articles on writing that I collect weekly.  Inclusion on this list does not necessarily mean it was published this week, just that I read it this week and thought it was cool, interesting, and/or useful.

0 comments: